This is the fifth of a six part series to show the mechanics of a Red Raid. The final boss you encounter is Surtur.
Marvel Heroes Red Raid is the harder difficulty raid of the two raids that are currently available as end game content for level 60 Heroes. The primary purpose behind this raid is to collect Hearts of Demonfire which are used to purchase recipe’s and tokens from the Raid Vendor (Hogun located in the SE part of the map) in Odins Palace (Chapter 9). Although these raids also drop uniques, it is assumed that you have a full set of uniques with challenge bonuses already. The only other reasons to do the raids would be to get the Surtur Rune that is used in crafting recipes and get Costume Cores that drop from the bosses.
Marvel Heroes Red Raid – Surtur
This fight consists of Fighting Surtur and also fighting the previous bosses at a smaller level during his fight which you go through a portal to get to.. He starts the fight with 2 attacks and gains another attack after each portal. Before the fight you need to assign 5 people to be the Portal group, these should be 5 heaviest hitting DPS heroes in the raid as the Portal Bosses need to be killed before the next portal appears.
Portals (All bosses in portals should be killed in less than 3 mins):
Slag Portal – appears at 14 mins into the fight. Same mechanics as the previous fight except there are no prisoners to protect. Just focus on DPS and not getting hit by butt slam as well as avoiding fire dot circle.
Twins Portal – appears at 11 mins into the fight and the bosses have the same attack mechanics as before but you can kill them together, focus on Lady Hellfire first and avoid Brimstones aoe attack.
Sister Portal – appears at 8 mins and has the same mechanics as the previous sisters fight.
Monolith Portal – appears at 5 mins. The heavy DPS portal team should stay on Surtur to burn him down at this point and the other team that had been remaining on Surtur should go in. Here you kill the yellow and blue elite archers and then regular mobs. When they are dead , do extra dps to the monolith. Same mechanics as the original fight when the fire giants appear, run them through the fire on the ground then take to the monolith.
- Sword Smash – Surtur holds his sword in ONE hand overhead or in two hands to the side of him and slams it on the ground dealing damage and leaving a fire dot effect on the ground. This can kill over time so watch your HP but its best to avoid it completely.
- Sword Slam – Surtur holds his sword overhead in BOTH hands and slams it into the ground. You will see “Take Cover” in blue in the top middle of your screen. This is an immediate one shot death if hit with this attack.
- There are only two ways to avoid it:
- Hide behind Rock walls in the area in front of Surtur
- Time using your invulnerability on Medkit use on your costume core (every red raider should have this)
- If a portal team kills a mini boss when this is about to happen, warn them as the warning animation may not be seen by Portal teams zoning back into the fight.
- There are only two ways to avoid it:
- After Slag is defeated: Surtur attacks with random fireballs in the area and spawns Fire Giants which have to be killed immediately.
- Not only do they kill with massive damage but they can also destroy the rock walls.
- After Twins are defeated: Surtur does the green circle attack where people have to stack on the one with the Green circle to mitigate the meteor damage. Get directly in front of Surtur for this.
- After Sister is defeated Surtur will drop bubbles that can 1 shot you so watch out for those and be ready to move as soon as you see them.
- After Monolith is defeated Surtur will be able to shoot a laser beam at the rock walls and destroy them.
Use your Ultimates after first 2 handed sword slam and again as they come up. Pick up the loot quickly as you only have 5 mins after the kill before being ported out and the cinematic can take 3.
If you can manage to avoid dying then it should be smooth. Here’s is an in depth walk through on MH forums.